Sunday, January 20, 2008

Some Weeks you just can't Win


This week I've made the final call on two different occasions to cancel services due to weather situations that did not turn out to be nearly as bad as predicted. I wish I had the time and the space to tell you all the anguish that goes along with making such a call. There are dozens of variables that figure into the decision to cancel a service at our church. Every time a decision is made to cancel a service you have those who disagree and those who do agree. Each person sees the decision from a different perspective. The one thing I can tell you is this. The bottom line on making a decision about canceling a service at Crossroads Church is safety! If the information we are working with indicates the possibility of an unsafe situation occurring we will err on the side of caution. Even if the information turns out to be different than anticipated we will err on the side of safety. If we ignored the information we had and someone was hurt we would regret that decision. If we heed the information given and it turns out to be different, our regret will be far less. Thanks to everyone for your understanding, patience and support as we make decisions that affect so many people. We never make these decisions lightly.

5 comments:

John said...

For what its worth, I think you made the right call both times this week. Thanks for leading courageously.

ccurrey said...

What a beautiful picture! Actually seeing our church blanketed in snow was a wonderful, welcome surprise. I think you chose wisely. We have to remember that worshipping God isn't about going to a building. No matter the elements we can worship God right where we are.

Anonymous said...

Ken
I had to make the same decsision on Saturday for the company I work for, and it is a very difficult thing to do. I think we made the right call, everyone's safety is too important to take for granted. Thanks for the great picture too!

Roiella said...

Hey Preacherman!

I like the blogspot stuff.

Thanks for caring for the flock and our safety. Sometimes we can be really dumb sheep...I'm glad we have you as a shepherd! Scott did a family devotion time with Evan and I on Sunday morning after breakfast. I told him, "I know the attire at Crossroads is casual, but don't expect to wear pajamas to church." (since we had not gotten dressed yet)

Love Ya!
--
Let the Son Shine!
Roiella
<*)))><

Becca said...

Thank you so much for putting our lives and the lives of our precious gifts God has entrusted to us first! Anytime you err on the side of caution it is a good thing! You made the right decision! We enjoyed the rest and family time! The Earle Family