Friday, January 11, 2008

Bring Your Bible to Your Funeral

This week I had the opportunity to speak with another pastor at the funeral of a dear woman who walked as Jesus walked. The clearest indicator of this was when the other pastor stood up with this woman's bible in his hand. As he began to turn to verses she had marked over the years it was clear that she had been a doer of the word and not just a hearer.

As I drove to the cemetary one question penetrated my mind. How many people can have their bible brought to their funeral? My guess is that some people would have their bible laying on the dashboard of the car. Some people would have bibles with pages that still crack (like new) when you open them. Some people have a bible that is still in the lost and found at church. Some people have a bible that is falling apart!

If someone does bring my bible to my funeral I hope it is falling apart. I hope it is that well read and well lived. Somewhere I heard someone say, "A bible that is falling apart is usually owned by someone who isn't." When we walk as Jesus walked we carry bibles that are falling apart, but we live lives that are not.

I hope someone can bring your bible to your funeral and I hope the life you lived matches up with what that bible says. A life that matches the Word is a life that is walking as Jesus walked.

No comments: