Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Old School Jesus Music

This past week I came across a podcast on itunes called "Full Circle". It is a radio show featuring Christian music from the 70's and 80's. It's good stuff! You can also google the phrase "Full Circle Jesus Music" and find the website for the show.

The music on this podcast is the first Jesus music I really listened to. I went to all the concerts, bought the albums and listened to the radio when Christian Music was only played on an AM station. People like Larry Norman, Paul Clark, Keith Green, Second Chapter of Acts, Randy Stonehill, and Steve Camp were writing songs that fueled my faith and gave me a great alternative to secular music.

I laugh these days when the majority of people I discuss music with have never heard of these once "cutting edge" artists. These guys made Christian rock music before it was popular and before big record contracts were available. I love the fact that the name "Jesus" was a regular part of their lyrics. It maybe old school muisc, but it is still real cool music!

If you get the urge to listen to something new I suggest you listen to something old. Find the Full Circle podcast and get a dose of old school Christian rock music. You might be surprised how God will speak to you. In fact, I think even Jesus would listen to old school Jesus music.
Listening as Jesus did!

9 comments:

keith said...

Now that's good stuff! I admit I remember the day... Thinking about some of the old school Christian rockers makes me laugh.

Glenn said...

It is amazing at how much you have and continue to accomplish. I have way more time than you do and do way less. This speaks to the condition of the heart as well as the maturity level. We are proud of you.

Unknown said...

new school with your blogging talents, old school with your music preferences...
Either way I'm always thankful that you are willing to put yourself on the line with God's glory at stake. It's always evident in you and other leadership at Crossroads

Anonymous said...

The thing I love about our church is that our leaders make church so "culturally relevant". Your blogs got me thinking how this could really reach those that need to learn about Jesus, and yet don't know where to begin. Meet them where they are. I think so many are hesitant to take that first step and just walk in the church doors, and here you can interact with them thru blogging. What a tool this could be, too, to especially reach our middle and high schoolers. When some might be uncomfortable to speak up with their questions about God in person, the computer surely gives many confidence, and you can expand and use your blog space to not only reach members, but to meet those lost right where they are. Thanks for all you do.

susan barber said...

As in the words of Larry Norman, "Why should the devil have all the good music?" (I'm really not that old- just up on new and old music).

Unknown said...

Just a couple of months ago, I was cleaning out my desk and came across some cassette tapes featuring the first ablums of Larry Norman, Love Song and Andre Crouch & the Disciples which I purchased in my Berkeley days. I have been thoroughly enjoying them and have been having fun introducing my youngest daughter to the vanguard of CCM. They were very "new school" back then - a huge step forward from the gospel songs prevelant during that time.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you on blogger. I found this site through the Hynson's site. Thanks being so used of God in this community.

LOVE the music!

Anonymous said...

All I can say is Petra, baby, Petra!! I still have hearing damage when at the ripe old age of 12 I begged my Mama to let me ride the church bus from Albany, GA with the teenagers to that Fox Theatre up in Atlanta. When we arrived, we were sitting up front and they told us that we could move to the sides of the stage. So there I sat (next to the speakers) screaming the lyrics to every single song they sang. First concert ever. Ahh Bliss. It was AWESOME!!

Anonymous said...

Interesting that you mentioned Larry Norman. I read last week that he recently passed away. Apparently he had been battling health problems for quite a while.