Monday, March 16, 2009

Disciples take up the Cross of Christ

I just finished reading a book called "Tried and Transfigured" by a man named Leonard Ravenhill. If you are not familiar with Mr. Ravenhill's books you might check out "Why Revival Tarries". Mr. Ravenhill has gone home to be with the Lord, but his words are still some of the most powerful and convicting one can read. Here is a section from "Tried and Transfigured" that probably wouldn't fit in the "Your Best Life Now" library.

"We want to go to the cross, but few want to get on the cross. We want Christ to die for us, but we do not want to die with Him. Christianity is all right if I can use it to my own ends. But when Christ wants me to purge my squirming ego, crucify my stubborn self-will, seek to eliminate my reeking self-pity, vanquish my vacillation, and claim to reign supreme within the heart that He has purged- that is another matter."

Think about it!

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Having good intentions to have a Spirit controlled life vs. a self controlled life isn't enough. Pray and ask others to pray for you when you feel 'self' controlling. Gotta love those small groups....unified in Christ's love, purpose and plan.